Are you an experienced PhD research supervisor and are you seeking to expand your repertoire of interventions and sharpen your effectiveness in your supervision practice? Then, the Supervising PhD research – Next Level course is an excellent opportunity for you to achieve your objectives.
This course aims to deepen knowledge and skills associated with complex issues in supervision: motivating and monitoring progress, expectation management of process and product, managing a supervising team, or dealing with time management issues as one’s responsibilities become greater. There is also ample opportunity for participants to bring in their own relevant topics and cases. In addition, participants will work on a personal learning objective related to supervision.
At completion of the course:
- You have reflected on your own supervision practice.
- You have gained insight in your own strengths and areas of development.
- You have advanced on your personal learning objective.
- You will be able to apply didactical insights (theories) to your own supervision practice.
- You have broadened your supervision skills (e.g., coaching & conversation skills, feedback skills).
- You will be able to signal problem behavior in time, and deal with difficult situations in your supervision practice from a broader perspective.
- You have tried out interventions to optimize your supervision practice to meet PhD candidates’ needs.
The approach of the course is focused on reflection on the own supervision practice, mutual exchange of experiences and sharing of good practices in the context of available literature on the topic.
This advanced course is for experienced supervisors working at Utrecht University and other universities and research institutions. Participants have supervised at least 5 PhD candidates until the finish line. Generally, they have their own research group/lab, are at (associate) professor level, and have a formal role within their department or faculty. This course is relevant for supervisors who want to obtain their Senior Teaching Qualification (SKO).
Are you a relatively new supervisor? Have a look at our course Supervising PhD Research.
Number of participants
6 - 8 participants
Participants have supervised at least 5 PhD candidates until the finish line.
Language of instruction is English.
The course will refer to international scientific publications in the field of PhD supervision, and use the book (costs included): Kearns, H. & Finn, J. (2017). Supervising PhD Students. A practical guide and toolkit. Adelaide: ThinkWell.
Fee for UU lecturers
Lecturers of Utrecht University can use O&T units (if available) or can otherwise participate at reduced rates. In either case in consultation with their own faculty.
This course consists of 3 group sessions and 2 individual meetings.
- Individual intake: challenges and wishes.
- Session 1: Strategies to stimulate independence (structure vs. letting go).
- Session 2: Expectation management from product to process; Progress: which steps are needed, which steps count
- Individual coach meeting: personal learning question.
- Session 3: Team supervision / Conversation techniques / Topic of choice.
In the program is room for topics suggested by the participants, including topics at the institutional level. In addition to the program, participants work on a personal learning question during the course. Using the existing literature, participants analyze cases and practice within and outside their comfort zone via assignments and coaching in an open, safe setting.
This course has not yet been planned, so registration is not yet possible. Would you like to be notified when new dates have been planned? Sign up for the waiting list with no further obligations.
Do you have an (educational) question, or are you curious about in-company and customisation options? We would be happy to explore the possibilities with you.
Please contact us via:
030 253 2261
About Educational Development & Training
Educational Development & Training translates academic insights into the daily practice of teaching. As a teaching professional you can come to us throughout the course of your career for training, advice and solutions tailored to your specific teaching-related needs. Visit our website.
Payment and cancelation terms and conditions
Terms and conditions of payment and cancelation apply to all services provided by Educational Development & Training.