Study Design in Etiologic Research
This course is a core component of any Master’s degree in Epidemiology, and is also key to being able to follow specialized courses in epidemiology. It is focused on observational studies for etiologic research. Its aim is for you to learn about the principles and practice of cohort, case-control and cross-sectional studies. We will discuss design, data collection and validity issues, as well as the major advantages and disadvantages of the different study designs. The emphasis will be on the application of observational study design in etiologic research.
Are courses are aimed at clinical researchers, nurses, general practitioners, and other health professionals who want to improve their skills in epidemiology, statistics and (clinical) research.
By the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Explain the principles, design and validity aspects of a cohort study, a case-control study and a cross-sectional study
- Interpret the measures of frequency and association from cohort, case-control, and cross-sectional studies
- Calculate the corresponding measures of frequency and association, and explain these calculations
- Explain special designs used instead of the classical case-control study (e.g. case-cohort study or case-crossover study)
- Explain the methods of data collection in the different study designs
- Explain the specific aspects of study design in veterinary epidemiology as compared to human epidemiology (e.g. clustering of animals and the effects this has on study design, measurement of exposure status, disease status and confounders, and the selection of the study population)
- Appraise scientific abstracts and papers on the choice of study design, and debate the relevant validity aspects
- Design an appropriate study to be used in a specific situation or to answer an etiologic question
20 March - 28 April 2023, 6 weeks, 14 hrs per week
Please note, even though you can manage your own time our courses are not intended as individual education. By learning together you will gain depth in your learning process, which is very important. Therefore flexibility from students, a positive attitude towards teachers and peers and the willingness to learn together and help each other is invaluable to our courses.
Application and more information
Utrecht University & UMC Utrecht employees
Employees of Utrecht University and the UMCU are eligible for a 10% discount on online courses from the MSc Epidemiology programme with Elevate Health.
Utrecht University & UMC Utrecht students
All students attending Utrecht University and the University Medical Center Utrecht are eligible for a 10% discount on online courses from the MSc Epidemiology programme with Elevate Health.