Introduction to Epidemiology
Introduction to Epidemiology will provide you with insights into the basic terminology and principles of epidemiology. These range from the history and design of epidemiological research to the different measures of frequency and association. We will also address the principles of bias and confounding, thereby enabling you to familiarize yourself with all the key epidemiological concepts.
Are courses are aimed at clinical researchers, nurses, general practitioners, and other health professionals who want to improve their skills in epidemiology, statistics and (clinical) research.
At the end of this course, the student
- has insight in the basic terminology and principles used in epidemiology
- has an overview of important historical developments in health sciences in general, and epidemiology in particular
- has insight in the different measures of frequency, association and impact that are commonly used in epidemiological research
- is able to calculate these measures using simple numerical examples
- has insight in the different aspects of epidemiological research (etiologic / diagnostic / prognostic / therapeutic, causal / descriptive)
- has knowledge of the different study designs used in epidemiological research
- is able to read and understand (simple) epidemiological scientific papers and recognize, in these papers, which study design was used
- is able to apply the correct measures of frequency and association belonging with the different epidemiological study designs
- understands the meaning of the terms bias and confounding
- has insight in the different fields of epidemiological research as covered at UMC Utrecht and UtrechtUniversity
3 weeks, 14 hrs per week
Application and more information
Utrecht University & UMC Utrecht employees
Employees of Utrecht University and the UMCU are eligible for a 10% discount on online courses from the MSc Epidemiology programme with Elevate Health.
Utrecht University & UMC Utrecht students
All students attending Utrecht University and the University Medical Center Utrecht are eligible for a 10% discount on online courses from the MSc Epidemiology programme with Elevate Health.